Sunday, December 5, 2010

New Direction

Lately I've been looking for directions to take my drawing, styles to experiment with, stuff like that. During my recent sketching frenzy, I found some pretty neat ways to play around with simple watercolors. I've decided that's something definitely worth looking into, but I wasn't sure what else to try, linework-wise.

Last night I went to see the movie Tangled with my girlfriend, and really enjoyed it. Sure, it's a kid-movie, and more than a little girlish, but I happen to like my fairy tales silly and lighthearted. When I'm not having them dark and messed up, anyway. The movie is insanely adorable, and very funny. It's got the feel of a good old fashioned Disney princess flick, but with a lot more modern wackiness thrown in.

More to the point, though, when we got to the end of the movie, there was an excellently drawn set of images in the ending sequence, which reminded me very pleasantly of Ronald Searle's cartoon work. I scoured the credits to find a name, and found that they had been done by someone named Shiyoon Kim. I looked him up after getting home, and found his art blog, the first post of which had some stills from the ending credits of Tangled. He seems really proud of the stuff he did for the movie, both the stuff in the credits, and the character design team he worked with. I found this all pretty exciting, even though I don't know the guy. Character design is something I would love to go into down the line, so maybe I just find it encouraging, I dunno.

A few of the stills Shiyoon Kim posted on his blog. Click the images for larger versions.



I really love what he did with the characters here, and the linework in general. It's whimsical, and playful, and a hell of a lot of fun to look at. The point is, I want to try doing some stuff a little bit more like this. I may have to pick up some new brush pens, or maybe just some ink to do brushwork with. One of my brush pens is dead, and the one I picked up at the beginning of the semester has disappeared on me.

Anyway, I'll be trying a few things later on, after or in between doing some class work. Since I'll be near a scanner I may actually be able to put something of mine on this blog.

Shiyoon Kim's Art Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment